Please note that until further notice,
all rides and events require registration.
Members: See the Events page to sign up for Club events.
The Venus Bike Club kicked off in Spring 2009 with the vision of creating a recreational, no-drop, cycling club that fosters an encouraging and supportive sisterhood. The Venus Bike Club is an ally to the LGBTQ community and welcomes all riders who identify as female or non-binary. The club is based in Boulder CO, but we have members riding with us from many parts of the state.
If you’ve ever thought: “I’m not sure I’d fit,” “I joined before but never made it to a ride,” or “What if my gear isn’t good enough?” –– join us! Whether you’re new to cycling, want to improve your cycling skills, are trying to get in better shape, or just want to ride with a group of great women, this is the bike club for you. We are about having fun, feeling joy, and achieving “more,” whatever that means for each of us. In the process, you’ll find that you become a more confident, road-aware cyclist, who feels better on and off the bike.
Each year, we have about 200 members of all riding levels and abilities, joining together for weekend group rides, skill and bike maintenance clinics, as well as destination get-aways. We are a non-profit, volunteer-run organization. We couldn’t do this if not for dedicated volunteers who help keep the Club rolling.
Have questions about the Club? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our weekend group rides are designed for the recreational rider. Group rides generally start in early April and alternate between Saturdays and Sundays until the end of the season in late September. As the season progresses, so does the mileage. Start times vary with the season and are also staggered, so those on the longer rides can get an earlier start on hot days. Most of our rides start at the Full Cycle bicycle shop, but occasionally we schedule remote starting points to allow us access to other destinations.
We try to keep ride groups small with about 6-8 riders of matching abilities and speeds. We may have six to ten groups going out on any given weekend. All rides have a lead and a sweep and are no-drop.
Ride routes are designed according to a training plan to build endurance for 33-, 64-, and 100-mile events, such as the Venus de Miles in late August (click for photos from 2021 event), the Buff Classic in September, and Tour of the Moon in late September. The routes are created with safety, scenery, and variety in mind.
- Short route: Early season, 12-15 miles at about an 11-12 mph average pace. Over the season, mileage gradually increases to 35 miles and may split into casual (12 mph) and medium-paced (13-14 mph) groups to meet the needs of the riders.
- Medium route: Early season, 20-30 miles. Over the season, this route increases to about 60 miles and may split into two or three pace groups at 12-13 mph, 13-14 mph, and 14+ mph average paces.
- Long route: Early season, 30-40 miles with three pace groups, 12-13 mph, 13-14 mph and a faster pace group at 14-15 mph. Over the season this route increases to about 75 miles.
All rides are by reservation only.
For information about group riding during the pandemic, please read the Club COVID-19 Guidelines.
Got a question about the group rides? Please email us at email@example.com.
You may request a Try Out ride if you are still unsure whether the Club is for you.
We offer several destination rides each year. In previous years, we went to:
- May – Loveland/Fort Collins Area
- June – Glenwood Springs Area Weekend
- July – Frisco Weekend
- September – Grand Junction Wine Weekend
- September/October – Tour of the Moon
Trip details and sign-up information is made available in the member events section on this site.
Clinics for all riding abilities, from beginner to intermediate riding skills are planned throughout the season. Most of our clinics are free to paid club members. A few clinics, facilitated by professional coaches, may be offered for a small, discounted fee.
From fix-a-flat and bike maintenance sessions to learning about nutrition and hydration, you’ll want to maximize your membership and take advantage of our upcoming clinics. Clinics are in a variety of formats including hands-on, on-bike riding skills clinics, and online presentations so you can learn from the comfort of your own home. One of our sponsors, Full Cycle, offers a variety of co-ed clinics and can assist you with any cycling questions or needs you may have.
In addition to weekly club rides and member events, members also receive these benefits:
- Access to the Club’s RwGPS club account, with Premium features including turn-by-turn navigation and offline maps as well as stationary bike support. This benefit is valued at $80.
- Small or no fee for any club clinics or coached training rides
- Invitation to special sales/group discounts with local partners
- Leads and sweeps earn $5 toward 2023 Club membership (maximum benefit is the price of membership.)
Additional Benefits From Our 2022 Sponsors:
- Boulder Medical Center: Boulder Medical Center is supporting the Venus Bike Club with a cash donation for 2022.
- Boulder International Film Festival (BIFF): BIFF is providing Venus with advertising in BIFF’s promotional materials, as well as door prizes and film ticket giveaways at this season’s Venus parties.
- Full Cycle: free adjustments; 10% off any regularly priced items (except bikes and service); 20% off bike fitting; and 10% off food and beverage at The Tune Up – Taproom and Espresso Bar.
- Fringe Pizza: 15% off.
- JL Massage & Skin Care: 15% off select services (excludes 30-minute sessions and specific skin care services).
- Photo Craft Imaging / GrafxGroup has provided printing services for Venus promotional materials.
- Velofix: Bike mechanic services at the start of four rides during our season, plus an upcoming bike maintenance clinic.
Members: See information on our Sponsors and how to redeem your benefits here.
* For paid membership through December 31, 2022. All benefits are subject to change at any time throughout the year.